Fold-up toy hauler couch

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Fold-up toy hauler couch

Postby weeeee » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:13 pm

Anyone have any ideas or plans to share for a fold-up couch like the ones in toy haulers?

The ones I can find online all seem to be around $500, and I am looking for a cheaper solution.
weeeee
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pete42 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:25 am

I don't have plans for a fold up bed/couch I do have a futon which works for me because the only "toys" I would carry would be my mobility scooter.
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby weeeee » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:23 am

I am hauling a jeep and atv's so I thought about a futon but takes up too much room.
weeeee
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:42 pm

Weeeee, How about a trundle bed ? ... sofa by day , double bed by night ... just not so good for .... you know ... :roll: http://tnttt.com/album_ ... c_id=69661
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby parnold » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:00 pm

Sounds like you need a bed that will fold up flat against the wall for hauling, and simply fold down for sleeping. Pretty simple to design one I would think.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby vtx1029 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:17 am

I looked for a long time too, I snagged one off of craigslist last fall but its really not all that great to sleep on and not super sturdy the way the legs are connected. IMO they do both things kind of half a$$ but it does look nice :roll:

A fold down bed frame made out of 1" square tube with a foam mattress will be much more comfortable.
vtx1029
Teardrop Master

Postby MegC » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:05 pm

Best version I've seen to date was made and demonstrated on this site:
http://tnttt.com/viewto ... 1&start=79
~ intel gathering until we get more $. If anyone's got a line on a winning lotto ticket or a tooth fairy I can shake down for cash, PM me.
"...believing in human perfectibility starts with trying to force people into a mold, then into a prison, and then into an oven."
MegC
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GaryDee » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:50 pm

I just got done with one using 1x1 - take a look (toward the bottom of the linked page)

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=39677

GaryDee
Teardrop Inspector

Postby weeeee » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:56 pm

Thanks for all the replies, I am just trying to come up with some ideas.

I am trying to figure out some type of bed solution that will fold pretty flat against the wall and use an aero bed as the mattress.

I am also looking for some type of seating area like a fold-up couch, not necessarily for sleeping, just for sitting and eating at a table or relaxing inside if the weather is poor.
weeeee
Teardrop Inspector

A >1/4 Century Old Convertible Couch Solution

Postby Engineer Guy » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:37 pm

In my '83 Avion, I slept on the Couch/Bed by choice during House construction vs. either of the walk-through Single Mattresses mid-Chassis. The Seat was supported on horizontal, parallel 1"x2"s with long horizontal slots in them held together by Machine Screws, Washers and Wingnuts tightened 'just so'. At night, the bottom pulled forward. The Couch Back then set down horizontally on the same, minimal Lumber structure. The Seat cantilevered out a bit over the front from where it is supported vertically in the picture. There were no fold down legs on the Seat; none was needed. The Table shown on the right, with 2 insert Leafs not shown, folds down and out of the way while seating 6 optionally.

Both the Seat and Back had 1/4" Plywood backs that the Fabric-over-Foam zippered around. A piece[s] of Memory Foam on top would be sweet.

Under the Seat was very accessible, full-width storage forward to under the Window. LOTS of Plastic Bins or whatever - a Tank[?] - would fit.

In a CT, the little Shelf the Lamp and Deer Antlers sit on could hinge down flush, or be eliminated. I inherited the Couch stains w/Trailer purchase.

Last edited by Engineer Guy on Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Reality proceeds with or without your consensus~
Engineer Guy
The 300 Club

Postby djsrtr » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:03 pm

How about a murphy bed? Had one in a spare room of a place I rented. I'm not saying to get one for a house but adapt the design for what you need. Maybe have it fold out of one wall onto a brace on the other wall. Use legs if needed.

not sure if this helps, just an idea. :thinking:
djsrtr
Teardrop Builder

Postby weeeee » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:06 am

I have thought about a murphy bed design, just still thinking about it.
weeeee
Teardrop Inspector

Postby 8ball_99 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:46 pm

I made a couple frames out of square tubing.. They are pinned to the wall so you can remove them if needed.. They stick off the wall less then 2" and I used an air mattress on them. Worked pretty good if you dont mind sleeping on a air mattress. With my new trailer I plan on just using some then memory foam mattresses. Air mattresses get old pretty quick..
8ball_99
500 Club

Postby jahruan » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:16 pm

if you go to walmart, they sell two twin foldable bed frames for $99.00 that folds up and takes up very minimal space, then I just put a futon mattress on top to sleep. here is the link

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Smart-Base-Be ... g/10924588
jahruan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby woytovich » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:35 pm

If you look in my thread here:
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=42073

you'll see a diagram of what I have in mind. The "legs" will swing out from being folded back against the wall and the bed surface will fold down onto them. This is similar to what you might see on some tables that have a fold down leaf except MY surface fold up and the leaf folds down when put away. I'll space the bed surface out away from the wall enough to allow for a 2" pad to stay attached. I'll likely then add a layer of waffle foam or similar and drop my sleeping bag on top of that. The bag and foam will roll up and get stowed in an overhead hanging net for transport.

My trailer will be a "hard shell tent" arrangement where I carry some bulky cargo that gets unloaded at destination... Low on creature comforts high on utility.
Mark - Metro New York
Toyota Land Cruisers: '66, '78 and '86
'03 Yukon XL, 2500/8.1 liter/8 lug + 18' 10k Car Trailer
M416 1/4 ton Military trailer - SOLD
5x8 Cargo/Camper - for sale soon
woytovich
Teardrop Master

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions