Budget Build For Boo!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Budget Build For Boo!

Postby CPnthrfan » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:04 pm

good job so far. i love what yall are doing
CPnthrfan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby fullon627 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:38 pm

Plywood, I just hit on earlier about how nice the ACX I bought was. I thought I give my incite (I'm not a finish wood worker by any stretch of the imagination, I repair the mechanical parts of boats) on it before I started working on the trailer today. The ACX I bought for the floor (luckily I only bought for the floor!) was from one of our local lumber yards. It was smooth (with some glue/filler) on one side and knot's with divots showing on the other (typical to some extent). We did the floor knot side up so we could have a smooth surface to seal on the bottom/exposed part. Since we were going to 3/4 ACX for the walls and also paint/bedline the outside of the trailer. We were going to put the smooth side out. Leaving the knot side in. Originally we were going to knotty pine the inside walls (I have some 1/8" thick tonged and grove real knotty pine laying around) and paint the ceiling. One day we went shopping to look for some nice 1/4 plywood for the ceiling since were going to paint it. We went to the most expensive lumber yard in our vicinity. I never been there before because "expensive" gives me hives! But there I went, it's for Boo, how could I say no to myself! This lumber yard is known for it's quality and exotic wood, mostly for finish carpenters or cabinet makers. They have by 100 fold, the best wood in the county. We went there right before there closing time. So we were just looking, not buying. Before we started looking for the ceiling plywood I spotted there 3/4 ACX bin. I was just amazed! Both sides and ends look like marine plywood (they have marine plywood there for more than twice as much)). It was beautiful. So we decided that the next morning we were going to all the lumber yards around and look at there 3/4 ACX. Nothing was as nice as the day before. Some came close but still had smooth knots or footballs on one side. The price range was from $42 a sheet to $54 a sheet. So that day we went back to the expensive lumber yard. We bought 4 sheets at $48 a piece. We don't have a Home Depot here or a Lowes. But the first plywood I bought for the floor was probably less quality than you could buy there! So don't think that you don't need to shop for wood (wood is wood so I thought???). Or am I just a newbee and everyone else knows this? You can teach old dogs new tricks! So for the rest of the trailer build all wood will be bought from this "expensive" lumber yard! But really, they just had the best wood at the middle of the price range (go figure!). So since the ACX is so nice we are only going to paint the inside (Could be not true, we are building on the fly). Now some pics of the plywood.

Floor ACX (sorry for the word, but crap) with knots. While working on the trailer we kneeled on a spot that gave through. It's was 1 and 1/2" wide by 7" long and half the sheet deep. We filled it. You can see the patch.

Thought I show a pics of the underside (smooth side). We built the floor before we started taking photos. 3/4 ACX (crap!) plywood with 1x6 redwood under. All wood was painted on all sides except the topside of the floor with oil base primer, then black oil based enamel before putting together. Then 6 coats of the same black was put on after it was assembled (we used all I had just to use it up). Overkill, but I had the paint laying around for years. It was time to use it! We will be taking the camper off the frame before we paint it. I will take pics of the bare frame then, for all to see of my sons handy work..

Plywood I bought from the " expensive store"! Just look at the surface and it's the end grain. It's amazing for ACX!

Last edited by fullon627 on Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It's a great world if you don't weaken!
Boats float and airplanes fly!
If you boat sinks you can swim!
If you airplane falls you can't fly!
Ken from Eureka Ca.

Boo's Build viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60867
fullon627
Gold Donating Member

Postby fullon627 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:01 pm

CPnthrfan wrote:good job so far. i love what yall are doing

Thanks for the compliment on the budget build!
Ken from Eureka Ca.

fullon627
Gold Donating Member

Postby fullon627 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:25 pm

Kinda sluffed of on Monday. I decided to cook a fish fry for my family instead. I really couldn't do the wiring because I realized that I hadn't bought any of the outside lights yet??? So Tuesday I did a little shopping on Amazon. Last night I primed the outside of the trailer. Yesterday one of my regular customers that's been watching my build gave me a table saw! Never had one, built my whole shop without one. But it will come in handy building the cabinets. Hope to get much more done this weekend.

Outside primed.

Table saw

Stuff I bought on Amazon

Fun stuff for her trailer. She Likes Flip Flops!

Serving dish x 2

Kitchen towels

Salt and Pepper shakers

Sign

Ken from Eureka Ca.

fullon627
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:45 am

Love the flip flop theme. Your daughter will really love that stuff!!

Do yourself a favor and read thru the safety tips and techniques from your saw's maker or any good table saw maker (Shop Smith has some good info here).

Being new to wood working and with little table saw experience, I thought I had a pretty good grasp of the basics, until I started to read some stuff. Then I found out what I didn't know and it made it a lot easier and safer to get the results I was looking for. Things like how to rip a thin board (hint: you need to make a low "thin rip" auxiliary fence).

You may also want to give the saw a good once over to make sure it is set up correctly and safe to use; here are a couple of posts out of my build thread about the old Powermatic that my friend and I fixed up. Initial assessment and tune up. You may want to do some research about your particular saw to see what it might need or want.

Safety first!
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby fullon627 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:48 am

KCStudly wrote:Love the flip flop theme. Your daughter will really love that stuff!!

Do yourself a favor and read thru the safety tips and techniques from your saw's maker or any good table saw maker (Shop Smith has some good info here).

Being new to wood working and with little table saw experience, I thought I had a pretty good grasp of the basics, until I started to read some stuff. Then I found out what I didn't know and it made it a lot easier and safer to get the results I was looking for. Things like how to rip a thin board (hint: you need to make a low "thin rip" auxiliary fence).

You may also want to give the saw a good once over to make sure it is set up correctly and safe to use; here are a couple of posts out of my build thread about the old Powermatic that my friend and I fixed up. Initial assessment and tune up. You may want to do some research about your particular saw to see what it might need or want.

Safety first!

Thanks KC, I already printed out from the net the owners manual. Seems to run like new. Will clean it up a bit first before I use it. The owner that gave it to me, still needs to bring a few parts over for it. Always "safety first"!
Ken from Eureka Ca.

fullon627
Gold Donating Member

Postby rebapuck » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:31 pm

Where the heck are you going to put that shower wand?
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby fullon627 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:36 pm

rebapuck wrote:Where the heck are you going to put that shower wand?

On the outside of the slide out, on the business side of the trailer. 90% of everything is going to be in the slide out. Water and holding tanks, water pump, most of the electrical and so on.
Ken from Eureka Ca.

fullon627
Gold Donating Member

Postby fullon627 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:07 pm

We are going to be doing a lot of sanding and filling today. Also I'll start the wiring and hopefully put the insulation on the roof. Pics tonight of our progress! Finally a photo of Boo and me!

Ken from Eureka Ca.

fullon627
Gold Donating Member

Postby fullon627 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:24 pm

Opinion needed! Boo and I have a difference of opinion. Front clearance lights, put on with the curve of the roof or straight? We are ready to go with the first two out of three opinions.

Boo's Way

My Way (or should I say, "my way or the highway"!!)
Ken from Eureka Ca.

fullon627
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:20 pm

I'm pretty sure that those lights are directional to conform to DOT standards. The lenses may need to be level in order to direct the light at the required angle. Boo's way, level, would be in compliance, your way may not.

Not that anyone would ever call you out on it, but it may be a little safer for your daughter that way. Besides, I think they look better Boo's way. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby fullon627 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:34 pm

KCStudly wrote:I'm pretty sure that those lights are directional to conform to DOT standards. The lenses may need to be level in order to direct the light at the required angle. Boo's way, level, would be in compliance, your way may not.

Not that anyone would ever call you out on it, but it may be a little safer for your daughter that way. Besides, I think they look better Boo's way. :thumbsup:

Thanks KC for you input. Boo decided it looked better my way. Only after everyone that stop by, liked it her way. I told her it was her trailer and she could have it any way she wanted. So I actually drilled the holes so that it could go either way. She can make up her mind in the finishing steps. Just a quick note, Boo's wearing the same clothes in every photo. That's because she keeps here "building duds at my shop". My wife washes them every week (I have a washer and dryer at my shop!!). She thinks she's a painter or a finished dry waller. She just wipes everything on herself! Lot of things happen today. My son, caught over a 100 crawdads in my traps that I bought 7 years ago and never used yet????
Last edited by fullon627 on Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken from Eureka Ca.

fullon627
Gold Donating Member

Postby rebapuck » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:48 am

I vote Boo's way.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby fullon627 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:38 am

rebapuck wrote:I vote Boo's way.

2 out of 2! Should I go the best out of 5?
Ken from Eureka Ca.

fullon627
Gold Donating Member

Postby fullon627 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:54 am

Forgot to mention, Boo made a color change
today! I guess it was yesterday since I fell asleep after I ate my dinner and now I'm awake!. She also added a logo to the doors. What do you think? I'd rather borrow a pink trailer myself without the adventure babies logo????

Last edited by fullon627 on Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken from Eureka Ca.

fullon627
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals