The Big Pink, Foamie !

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: the big Pink ... puttin' on canvas

Postby GPW » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:11 am

Ps. If you want a really Thick primer , use “concrete block filler “ ...that works GREAT , and is easy to find , not expensive at all for the amounts we use ...!!! :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:06 am

I used exterior porch paint to stick my canvas to the plywood on my tear, took about 6 gallons to cover a 5x8 benroy :shock: however the paint s going no where! three years later and outside almost entirely, the only thing I've noticed is some staining from leaves the sat on the paint.
Use cheap paint to fill the weave, get good stuff for the top coating (I prefer Glidden porch and floor paint) it should last for years.

I had to peel back some of the canvas to modify the tear (removed a bunch of useless framing weight from the bottom see my WWW for details) the paint took the wood with it, it is stuck as well as polyester resin would make it.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:15 pm

I think the "lagging compound" that Rosie used on her boat creates a perfect substrate. It acts as a filler and primer. After three coats or so, you can sand it with 120 grit paper to smooth it down. After that, paint with an alkyd enamel. That's what the folks who are building or restoring wooden canvas canoes are doing. In retrospect, that's probably what I would do to an canvas covered foamie. It was always about the smooth finish for me. Fiberglass and epoxy worked but was expensive, messy and time consuming. One issue might be is the need to keep a wet edge while working the lagging compound. As large as my Road Foamie was, that could have been an issue. Next time I plan to build even bigger!! :? :shock: :oops: :NC More research needed and probably an experiment!
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:26 pm

Bigger is easily possible ... Foamies’ are now transcending from tiny Beer coolers on wheels , to something more “comfortable “ .. 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:37 pm

What we have been doing parallels what the building industry is doing. A traditional RV is stick built much like one would build a house. Our foamies are similar to how the building industry is using SIPs (structural insulated panels). SIPs are foam cores with an exterior and interior sheathing of plywood. We instead use an exterior sheath of a chosen fabric and some of us have used a light plywood as an interior sheath. I think all of us builders are shocked by the structural strength of our Foamies. There is no reason you can't build a bigger and more comfortable trailer. You're constraints would be time, money and a place to build. Sorry for the hijack!
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Re: 10' foam standie ... puttin' on primer

Postby tac422 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:47 am

I finished the canvasing, and yesterday I used thinned Gripper to paint the two sides of the TD.
Pictures to follow... but not much to see, it just looks white.

But it's not pink anymore, so I changed the thread title. I don't have a name for it yet.

I am thinking about using aluminum roof paint for the top... it seeemed like it would work OK. It's oil based, should soak into the canvas well, and I think the color would help with climate/ moisure control inside.
Thoughts or comments are always welcome !
tac422
500 Club

Postby Mary C » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:40 am

Does it have aluminum on top? Don't use the paint that has aluminum in it it rubs off!!! it does seal but I would stick with an exterior latex, I used the roof paint on the bottom of the trailer wood. good luck!!

Mary C. :)
Last edited by Mary C on Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tac422 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:42 am

Mary,
Nope, Its all canvas over foam....
I want it to look like my avatar, silver down the middle... 8)
tac422
500 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:54 am

Tac, in the Old Days there was many a canvas covered trailer roof painted with that Aluminum paint ... You could use an enamel based Al paint over that with no problems to the foam or canvas .. (test on scrap first as always ) Maybe there’s even a Latex version out now ? :thumbsup:

More info http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-aluminum-paint.htm
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby kudzu » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:10 am

Tac, I think Mary is asking if the paint itself has aluminum in it.

Personally, I just stick with white for roofs but I understand your preference for the esthetics of the aluminum color. I quite like it.
kudzu
Donating Member

Postby tac422 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:13 am

tac422
500 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:19 am

That looks perfect huh !!! :thumbsup: I’d still use a primer though or the canvas will suck it up ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby tac422 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:32 am

I was thinking I want the canvas to suck it up to embed the aluminum as much as possible to avoid what Mary said about rubbing off....

Mary,
Did you use it on canvas or just wood ?
What kind did you use ?
Thanks !
Tac
tac422
500 Club

Postby kudzu » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:33 am

OK, so according to the MSDS it does have aluminum (20%) in it. Can't speak to Mary's comment about it rubbing off. Rustoleum seems to claim it won't with this quote, "This commercial-quality finish maintains consistent, corrosion-resistant color—despite the elements." Would be worth researching if you haven't already. You'd want to at least make a test panel first, no?

Looks like a good color to me. Have you decided on the color for the side panels?
kudzu
Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:40 pm

ok with all the talk about aluminum I thought you were meaning the sealer that you put on the roof of trailers you live in it is also (used to be known as ) Kool seal. It is white, with or without aluminum in it. That is what I was referring too.
It would make a good primer as it is thick and sealant. You could paint latex over it..

Mary C. :)
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies