4x8 to 5x8 axle question

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

4x8 to 5x8 axle question

Postby MtnDeb » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:04 pm

Hi folks,
I bought a 4x8 trailer. After thinking about it, I want to convert to a 5x8 trailer. That is easy to do, but I still want fenders on the trailer. What do I need to do to the trailer if I get an axle one foot longer? And should I get a heavier axle?
MtnDeb
Teardrop Inspector

Re: 4x8 to 5x8 axle question

Postby MtnDon » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:00 pm

Hard to say if you need a heavier (more capacity) axle when we don't know what you have in terms of capacity.

As for making it wider, if you do not want the wheels in the body, you need a wider frame in order to mount the springs farther apart. . If you can weld that is easier. You might want to rethink what you have and what you really want. It might be easier to sell the 4x8 and buy a 5 x8; depending on your metal working skills.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:25 am

Chubby is 5'7" wide on an unchanged HF axle set. I built up and over the wheels without a problem.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Nobody » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:45 am

While my 'fenders' aren't as prominent as full size ones, they do add some 'bling' to the trailer. I built a 5x9'6" teardrop on an HF 4x8 trailer. Built over the wheels but the tires still extended slightly past the side walls & I didn't like the 'bare' look of the rig, tho I used it like that for the first few months after construction. Since I had the 'diamond tread' trim already on the cabin I ordered a heavy, aluminum diamond tread fender (for a 15" Jeep tire I think) from Northern Tool. It was wide enough I figured I could make 2 'mini-fenders' from one unit. Had to cut several inches off one end to make it fit my 12" wheels/tires. I then split it lengthwise using a metal cutting blade on my jigsaw, notched 1" of each 'inner' edge & formed a flange using a rubber mallet & a 'mold' of high density particle board. Drilled the flanges & attached to my TD using 1/4"x1" lag screws. Used the original 'cut-outs' from the diamond tread trim wheel wells as 'skirts' for the mini-fenders & fabricated some 'mud flaps' to dress it up a little. They may not be 'real' fenders but they look lots better than the bare wheel well cut-uts... We've towed it more'n 20K miles since modification with no problems or 'loosening' of the fenders.

one of our first trips (without fenders)

'On the road' (with fenders)
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:05 am

As they've posted, you can build 5' wide on a 4' wide frame - you just have to build over the wheels. But then you won't need fenders (check out my X-II build) or you'll have really narrow fenders, as Harvey shared.

If your intentions are to widen a 4' frame to 5' wide, then you're probably going to spend more time and money modifying it than its worth. You can't just lengthen the axle without widening the frame. Your axle support points would be way to narrow and you would just bend your axle. By the time you get new longer cross members to make the trailer a foot wider, and either buy a new axle or cut and extend what you have, you're going to basically have a whole new trailer anyway. In most cases (unless you have metal laying around and will be cutting/welding it yourself) it will be much easier and cheaper to sell what you have now and put that money towards a 5x8 trailer frame.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby MtnDeb » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:53 pm

Thanks for the replies. Bobhenery you answered my question about weight. Now I will not worry about it. Harvey I like your idea. I will cut the fender in half. Your trailer looked great and I too think fenders add something to teardrops.

Thanks again ... Deborah
MtnDeb
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets