The Urabus Scuttlebutt from PA *Update 10/11/2011 PAGE 23*

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:30 pm

Thanks Mark! Didnt get to attach it until today, but it went pretty well!

Also got a fresh coat of white paint! Might be time to paint the blue on tomorrow!

Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:46 pm

Looking great Zach. I'm giving up on getting to the paint on mine this weekend.

Is your roof vent attached already, or just sitting there?
parnold
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:17 pm

The vent is just sitting there right now. The trim ring doesnt exatly fit the 3/4" roof framing, so I'm going to have to add some wood trim on the inside to make the framing thicker.

I havent exactly figured out how I'm going to hide the wiring yet either :(
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Rlowell » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:38 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: You are moving right along there Zack! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
From here it looks like you will have a maiden voyage in three weeks...Where are you going?
Rod
Plan your work...work your plan...at least that's the plan. Oh, just do it anyway!
gallery/image_page.php?album_id=1425&image_id=76342
Rlowell
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:35 pm

It's looking good, Zach. You're moving fast! :thumbsup: :applause:

Did I miss something? I'm wondering about the rounded rectangular opening between the cabin and the galley. Is that a pass-through or will there be some sort of vent cover or air conditioner or....?
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:47 pm

Rlowell wrote::thumbsup: :thumbsup: You are moving right along there Zack! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
From here it looks like you will have a maiden voyage in three weeks...Where are you going?
Rod

First trip is going to be May 14-16, to Tearstock in the Catskills of New York! 4.5 hour drive each way... hope it doesnt fall apart :worship:

S. Heisley wrote:It's looking good, Zach. You're moving fast! :thumbsup: :applause:

Did I miss something? I'm wondering about the rounded rectangular opening between the cabin and the galley. Is that a pass-through or will there be some sort of vent cover or air conditioner or....?

Its really coming together!! :) The pass through really doesnt have any particular purpose. I was thinking it can be used for everything from doggy-door, to a/c window, to ventilation. Eventually there will be a door that can close it off when its not being used.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:53 pm

Now on to todays progress :D :D :D

Today was an AWESOME day!!! My Dad and I put about 8+ hours of taping and painting.

After an hour or so of drying, we felt comfortable enough to take the tape off. After throwing a big ball of blue painters tape into the dumpster, I turned around and saw the finished paint scheme and just started laughing :lol: :lol:

I think it looks awesome! I'm getting SOOOOOOO excited to get it finsihed and get out camping!!! So here it is...

Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:10 pm

Also, I had a question in my mailbox about the galley hatch seal. I'm surprised nobody has asked about it until now! :twisted:

Its something that I have never seen before.... I hope it works :worship:

I designed it so that when viewed from the side, the profile of the trailer is one continuous curve... no notch for the galley hatch. That means that the hatch has to sit between the side walls, but still seal. So heres what I came up with:

Basically, there are curved ribs that run parallel to the rear edge of trailer sides. The weatherstripping will be on the curved ribs, and the galley hatch will pull tight against those strips, hopefully creating a tight seal. The weatherstripping is placed on the ribs such that there is a narrow channel that the water can run down and out.

The jury is still out on whether it will work, but I'll be sure to post the results once everythings finished and I get to test it. If it doesnt work, well its back to the drawing board! No worries!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:21 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Looking awesome! I am so jealous.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Rlowell » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:42 pm

Zack,
That is what I call a Great day's work!! :applause: :applause: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Got a couple of questions for you: Who came up with the paint scheme, and who did the great paint job...you ...or Dad...! :lol: :lol: I really like the extra touch of the red trailer! :roll:

The reality is that I am also jealous...Great job.
Rod

Road Trip!! 8) :thumbsup:
Plan your work...work your plan...at least that's the plan. Oh, just do it anyway!
gallery/image_page.php?album_id=1425&image_id=76342
Rlowell
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby grizz » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:30 am

Absolutely awesome progress.

I am so pleased your dad is "Playing along with you"
My dad used to think half the stuff I did was mad... but he loved getting involved and helping, often adding very good advice.

I suspect you are of Scotts decent ?

Here are a couple of photos of my 1963 Ford Transit bus at the NSRA Show last year... see if you can pick up what the link is to your teardrop ?

The Transit will be towing my teardrop when it is done. (And yes, we are originally fromScotland, but that was a long time ago)

Last edited by grizz on Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:21 am

Rlowell wrote:Zack,
That is what I call a Great day's work!! :applause: :applause: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Got a couple of questions for you: Who came up with the paint scheme, and who did the great paint job...you ...or Dad...! :lol: :lol: I really like the extra touch of the red trailer! :roll:

The reality is that I am also jealous...Great job.
Rod

Road Trip!! 8) :thumbsup:

I had to leave the trailer red... as a tribute to the amazing Harbor Freight craftsmanship! :lol:

I've done all the design and most of the construction. My Dad comes up to help out once a week, but for the most part its just me. He did help out A LOT when we were laying out the tape lines yesterday.

grizz wrote:Absolutely awesome progress.

I am so pleased your dad is "Playing along with you"
My dad used to think half the stuff I did was mad... but he loved getting involved and helping, often adding very good advice.

I suspect you are of Scotts decent ?

Here are a couple of photos of my 1963 Ford Transit bus at the NSRA Show last year... see if you can pick up what the link is to your teardrop ?

The Transit will be towing my teardrop when it is done. (And yes, we are originally fromScotland, but that was a long time ago)

Yeah its been a lot of fun having my Dad help out with this project! I know he's having fun too!

I am in fact of Scot descent. My Grandmother on my Mom's side was born in Scotland and moved to the states when she was young. My Mom's traced our ancestory back centuries, and we have roots with Clan Leslie, Clan Finlay, and Clan Farquharson.

I like the rampant lion flag in the back of your Transit! I might have to get one of those to fly outside of my teardrop!

Where are you from in Scotland? I've been over to visit relatives twice. A few live in Leith, and couple live in Edinburgh, but I've been all over the West Coast, and through the Highlands. The first time I went to Scotland, I had just turned 18, so I was not yet able to drink here in the states, but boy I got to put a few back with my parents while abroad!! It was a blast!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby grizz » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:23 am

Hi Zach,

My great grandparents were Scottish.
They could not stand being with the English and actually became "Afrikaans" and spoke Afrikaans so that they would not be "English"

I would definitely call myself South African, being born and raised there.
I do however go to Scotland at least once a year, and when up beyond Edinburgh and Glasgow toward the Lochs I always feel at peace.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:20 pm

After work tonight I decided that the paint was dry enough to stick on the hatch seal, and to attach the galley hatch draw-latches.

Its kinda dark, but you can see where the hatch will close down and press against the weatherstripping:

Also, the oak "bumper" was a last minute idea, and came about because of brainstorming a latching mechanism. I had originally intended to do a 3-point latch, but decided a draw-latch would be the way to go. Unfortunately my hatch design wasnt ideal at all for this type of latch. The only way it could work would be this: attach an oak "bumper" to the hatch, make it the width of the outside of the trailer, and use the draw-latches to pull the bumper tight.

After the weatherstripping was in place, and the latches were installed, Jessica and I took it for its first drive!

Anybody see anything wrong with this picture? :oops:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby down under tech » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:40 pm

Hi Zach & Jessica: I see something wrong in the picture. You need to raise your landing gear on your RIG. You did didn't you, Please say you did.
It is looking good, Zach

In a few days, you will be making the best test drive. To a camp ground near you. :thumbsup:
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

"The Silver Nugget" Build
viewtopic.php?t=35314&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
down under tech
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals