The Urabus Scuttlebutt from PA *Update 10/11/2011 PAGE 23*

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby IASCOTT » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:22 pm

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:

Anybody see anything wrong with this picture? :oops:

If you mean you don't have your wheelie bar wheel adjust right yeah I see it. :lol: :lol:

Scott
IASCOTT
Teardrop Advisor

Postby toypusher » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:41 pm

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:Image

Anybody see anything wrong with this picture? :oops:

Besides the tongue jack being down, THERE IS NO ROOF ON THE THING!! :shock:

:lol: :lol:
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Newman39Fan » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:16 pm

I agree, the wheel is a minor thing. I would suggest the following before you go camping.
1. ROOF!
2. DOORS!
3. Make her drive so you can look in the rearview mirror admiring your awesome creation
Newman39Fan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Ageless » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:36 pm

Oh yes; 2 story building in the background . . . . .people living close together . . . .city!!!!!!

:shock:

Run . . .run very far away!!!!
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:26 am

:lol: :lol:

You guys are great!

1.) Roof should be going on this weekend.
2.) Doors will be installed after roof.
3.) Not sure I trust Jessica to pull the trailer quite yet. Hell, if I can't get it right, how in the world will she?!

:lol:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:37 am

I stopped by Lowes last night to pick up screen for the roof, but couldnt decide what I wanted - regular screen, pet screen, no-see-um screen, sun screen. Then I started thinking, well JoAnn Fabrics has my marine vinyl, and they have tent material... maybe they'll have tent window/screen material! So I abandoned purchasing the screen for now.

But I still needed to get wood for shelving. So I wandered down to the lumber aisles, and found 4x8 sheets of Oak ply. $39.95. Grabbed the top one off the stack and put it on a cart. Noticed the back of the sheet was in less than perfect condition - had a scratch here and there - nothing major, but it wasnt perfect. Found a "lumber guy" and asked him if he could knock a couple bucks off of it, and he said "Sure, hows half price?"

Got it for $20, plus a couple pieces of oak trim molding, and went home happy! Should be installing the shelves tonight!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Rlowell » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:15 am

absolutsnwbrdr wrote::lol: :lol:

You guys are great!

1.) Roof should be going on this weekend.
2.) Doors will be installed after roof.
3.) Not sure I trust Jessica to pull the trailer quite yet. Hell, if I can't get it right, how in the world will she?!

:lol:

Hey, Jessica...Did you hear that? It was a fly-by!!! :D ;)
Nice purchase on the wood.
Rod
Plan your work...work your plan...at least that's the plan. Oh, just do it anyway!
gallery/image_page.php?album_id=1425&image_id=76342
Rlowell
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:11 am

The Scuttlebutt is officially road-legal in PA! Got the fenders installed last night...

Also got the interior and galley shelves installed, along with the hinging/latching mechanism for the interior shelf... more on that when I can take some pictures that dont come out uber dark :)
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:42 pm

My Dad came to visit tonight and we got some pizza and went to work on the trailer. Got the screen roof done!!!!!!!!!

Can't tell you how excited I'm getting!

The white strip that you see is 3/4" wide polystyrene molding that I found @ Lowes. Its only comes in white, and is basically just a very flexible plastic version of trim molding. I attached it using silicone adhesive and a few tacks spaced with the spars. That gave the top edge of the plywood the really smooth clean look, and its also what holds the screen mesh in place.

The clear silicone adhesive still has some time to cure, but heres a couple pictures. You can barely see the screen, other than catching a small shimmer from the light. The tire on the roof is just there to put pressure on the trim around the fan framing.

:twisted:
Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:55 pm

Also, as promised, here are some pictures of my interior shelf. As you can see, I dont have any cabinets. Maybe sometime down the road I'll put some small cabinets in, but for now this is what I have:

It does have a nifty little secret though.... if Jessica and I are ever stuck in a rain storm while camping with a couple friends, we can just fold the shelf down, and have enough room for another 2 people to join us for cards and some drinks! Notice that even while the shelf is folded down to provide a backrest, there is still a small shelf available for drinks :twisted:

While the shelf is up, its held in place by slide bolts, which needed a place to slide in to the wall. I chiseled out the plywood and re-sealed it, then screwed the bolt-plates in place as such:

I'm going to State College tomorrow with a couple guys from work, but I'll be back to work on the teardrop on Sunday! If the hangover isnt tooooo bad, we may see a vinyl roof get completed :lol:
Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Rlowell » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:35 pm

Cool idea that I am trying to wrap my head around. Here in Florida it would be way to hot let alone the privacy issue. I could see a smaller sunroof that vents; or a smaller sky light. Let us know how everything works out. Are you putting in A/C. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :applause: :applause:
Rod
Plan your work...work your plan...at least that's the plan. Oh, just do it anyway!
gallery/image_page.php?album_id=1425&image_id=76342
Rlowell
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:39 pm

There isnt going to be a permanent A/C unit installed, but the pass-through in the lower galley wall could be a temporary location for an A/C unit, as its needed. As far as privacy, both doors will have curtains, and there will also be a full-width curtain across the front of the screened area. Stay tuned :twisted:

:D
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:26 pm

Got the vinyl roof installed today! Snaps into place and looks great!!

Snaps were ordered from Sailrite.com...
Snap Fastener Screw Stud 5/8" - Item #333110
Snap Fastener Button Silver 11/64" Barrel - Item #333777
Snap Fastener Normal Action Socket - Item #333050

Vinyl material was purchased at Joann Fabrics - Nautolex Marine Vinyl - North Star Mystic White

Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:49 pm

Looking really awesome Zach! But I think you forgot to leave your jack down for the pic. :lol:

The white vinyl goes great with the paint scheme. Now hurry up and get the doors on!
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Carter » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:03 pm

Zach
Trailer is looking great. I like the fold down shelf and the vinyl top is unique. The way you have it designed it shouldn't leak. I have a vinyl topper on my pickup and it stays dry, I don't believe it is as well designed as yours. The screen roof is cool. just have to watch the overnight weather reports.

Sorry for the earlier Aztek concept drive by. Sauza and Grapefruit might have had something to do with it. I can remove them if you like. At a minimum I can downsize the pictures. On the other hand I am proud that I had an influence in naming your tear the Scuttlebutt.

Jim
I need a new Avatar. I'd put my dog up there but she doesn't look much like me. She's the skinny one.
Carter
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals