The Urabus Scuttlebutt from PA *Update 10/11/2011 PAGE 23*

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Ratkity » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:33 am

*blinks* Oh My! What has been seen cannot be unseen!!! LOL.

Hugs,
Ratkity :shock:
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:03 pm

len19070 wrote:
absolutsnwbrdr wrote:I did however make time to go camping last week for a couple days... just at a state park 15 minutes from home...

Would that Park happen to be Gifford Pinchott??

Ya know Ross Hill is coming up, July 16, 17 & 18.

Same bunch of "Crazies" as TearStock......a little more concentrated though.

Happy Trails

Len

You'd be right Len - it was Pinchot. I'd love to come to Ross Hill, but my Dad and I are going to the New England Forest Rally that weekend.

I definitely need to get to another gather soon though!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:08 pm

I've been soooo busy camping in the Scuttlebutt, not much has been done to it since June...

Until today! :twisted:

I plan on doing some fall camping (and possibly some winter camping) so I've decided to make some removable insulation panels that will hopefully give the convertible Scuttlebutt a longer camping season!

Its just going to be 3/4" foamboard insulation cut to fit between the roof spars, and then another layer of 3/4" insulation below spars that will create a "ceiling." The 3/4" insulation that fits between the spars will be glued to the full 3/4" insulation "ceiling" so that there will only need to be 2 or 3 completed panels instead of a bunch of small pieces of insulation.

Had to start the project in Lowes parking lot since I couldnt fit the full sheets in the trailer...

And the meager beginnings...

I got one panel finished, but didnt get a picture of it yet. Its the main ceiling panel that goes from the fan to the galley wall. More pictures tomorrow I promise!

All of this work is just going to be the first version. Once I get something made up that I like, there will be a cleaner more "finished" version down the road.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Rlowell » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:15 am

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:I've been soooo busy camping in the Scuttlebutt, not much has been done to it since June...

Until today! :twisted:

I plan on doing some fall camping (and possibly some winter camping) so I've decided to make some removable insulation panels that will hopefully give the convertible Scuttlebutt a longer camping season!

Its just going to be 3/4" foamboard insulation cut to fit between the roof spars, and then another layer of 3/4" insulation below spars that will create a "ceiling." The 3/4" insulation that fits between the spars will be glued to the full 3/4" insulation "ceiling" so that there will only need to be 2 or 3 completed panels instead of a bunch of small pieces of insulation.

Had to start the project in Lowes parking lot since I couldnt fit the full sheets in the trailer...

And the meager beginnings...

I got one panel finished, but didnt get a picture of it yet. Its the main ceiling panel that goes from the fan to the galley wall. More pictures tomorrow I promise!

All of this work is just going to be the first version. Once I get something made up that I like, there will be a cleaner more "finished" version down the road.

:applause: :applause: You keep coming up with these new ideas that work!! Way to go. I can tell that you are having way to much fun with your build. Have you started planning you next build. Very inovative.
Rod :thumbsup:
Plan your work...work your plan...at least that's the plan. Oh, just do it anyway!
gallery/image_page.php?album_id=1425&image_id=76342
Rlowell
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby parnold » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:12 am

Nice Zach!

I spent last night in my trailer testing out my new thermostat and heater. Who needs insulation. :lol:

Are you planning on a heater of any kind, or just extra blankets?
parnold
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:14 pm

Thanks guys! Rod I've definitely thought about another build! Everytime I go camping I get more ideas. But its probably gonna be a little while before I can build another.

Paul I just have some warm sleeping bags for now. Thought about getting one of those propane catalytic heaters at some point. I just want something that I can use when I'm rustic camping. Might get an electric blanket for campground trips.

I got started on the main front panel this evening, but only got a little bit done before it got too dark.

Here's the main ceiling panel....

in position with velcro....

No pictures of tonight's progress....hoping to finish it tomorrow after work if I'm not there too late!

I'm going camping in northern PA with some friends this weekend, so I'm hoping to have it done before then so I can test it out!

:twisted:
I'm going to sleep one night without the insulation installed, sleep the next with it installed, and compare the temperatures when I wake up in the morning.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby toypusher » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:42 am

Zach, looks like a good solution to me and I can guarantee that it will be warmer with the insulation in. Don't forget to leave the vent and/or a window cracked with the insulation in there!
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby parnold » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:42 am

I always wanted a mirror over MY bed! :lol:
parnold
Donating Member

Postby dmckruit » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:39 am

Zach, you can get yourself one of those small electric ceramic heaters for when it gets cold out. I brought mine along on our camping trip this past weekend on our trip to Erie. We took my nephews popup and we were unable to get the popups propane heater working, so the ceramic heater came in handy. We had it on a low setting and we were nice and toasty. They are only around $20 and you don't have to worry about carbon monoxide.
dmckruit
The 300 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:19 am

Kerry! Its been a while! You musta been hiding all summer! Yeah I'll be sure to leave the roof vent open a little bit to get a little fresh air.... dont want to get too stuffy.... or too dead :?
parnold wrote:I always wanted a mirror over MY bed! :lol:

:lol: :lol:

dmckruit wrote:Zach, you can get yourself one of those small electric ceramic heaters for when it gets cold out. I brought mine along on our camping trip this past weekend on our trip to Erie. We took my nephews popup and we were unable to get the popups propane heater working, so the ceramic heater came in handy. We had it on a low setting and we were nice and toasty. They are only around $20 and you don't have to worry about carbon monoxide.

One of those would be more than sufficient for campground trips... but its the boondocking that I'm trying to find a solution for as well. I am very intrigued by bobhenry's wood stove attachment! That would take much planning and testing though (and a CO detector for the trailer)
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:09 pm

Almost finished the insulation project last night, but once again, darkness struck.

Just took these pictures at lunch today. Front panels are finished. Everything you see here comes out in 2 folding sections....

Still need to make the two panels that will be on each side of the fan...

Since the Scuttlebutt is 48.5 inches wide inside, there is a small gap at the edges of the insulation. I'm thinking that some cheap foam weatherstripping stuck to the edges of the panels would do the trick. Also want to get a roll of that aluminum HVAC tape to clean up the edges of the panels before the weatherstripping is applied.

And yes, I keep forgetting to reinstall the plastic trim ring around the fan :roll:

I'm trying to decide whether or not to run a strip of clear plastic tape around the entire perimeter of the insulation to minimize moisture getting between the panels and the vinyl roof. Maybe the foam weatherstripping will suffice?
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:38 pm

Looks good Zach. What's holding it in place? Is it that tight?

I just ordered a 12v electric blanket to warm up my bed when I don't have access to 110v. I get to try it out this weekend. I'm hoping climbing into a warm bed, and plenty of covers (can you say down comforter doubled) will keep me warm all night.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby grizz » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:45 pm

Great thinking and modification there mate.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:02 pm

Thanks guys! Right now they are held on with tiny little almost useless velcro dots & a few small pieces of clear packaging tape.

Once I get better velcro, that's all that will hold it in place. The front part actually stays in place without the velcro or tape, but I figure it might bounce loose going down the road.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby toypusher » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:41 pm

Hey, us should not need a heater! Ya got FRED!!! :D
toypusher
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals