The Urabus Scuttlebutt from PA *Update 10/11/2011 PAGE 23*

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:53 pm

:) Gotta love Google Images. However they are available all over the palace. You just need to get stainless steel and a heavier grade.
http://www.spep.com/Latches/Draw/PullDown.html
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-NEW-Or ... iesQ5fGear

The online hardware places might have some better latches.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Hatch Latch

Postby GreatPumpkin » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:26 am

I'm contemplating using these for my hatch latches.

http://www.marinepartdepot.com/new316ststlo1.html

Custom Benroy/Grunman/Hybrid...In Progress
2001 Dodge Ram 1500
2001 Honda XR650R

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin
Teardrop Master

Re: Hatch Latch

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:13 am

GreatPumpkin wrote:I'm contemplating using these for my hatch latches.

http://www.marinepartdepot.com/new316ststlo1.html

Regular price: $64.99
Sale price: $14.99

:shock: :shock:

HOLY CRAP!! I'll be ordering these tomorrow!! Thanks!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby IASCOTT » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:22 pm

I see one problem waters going to pool between your vent and trim ring. It's hard to tell in the pictures whether the ring has higher sides than the vent. If it is the first rain you will find out if the vent fan lid has a water tight seal.

Scott
IASCOTT
Teardrop Advisor

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:33 pm

IASCOTT wrote:I see one problem waters going to pool between your vent and trim ring. It's hard to tell in the pictures whether the ring has higher sides than the vent. If it is the first rain you will find out if the vent fan lid has a water tight seal.

Scott

Yeah that was one of my concerns. The top lip of the fan housing is about 3/4" higher, so that shouldnt be a problem. I thought about drilling a couple "weep holes" in the back of the trim ring to maybe help some water drain out. Didnt get a chance to test it yet, but I'm gonna take a bucket of water and just dump it on the top to see what happens. If it just sits up there and doesnt leak in, I'm ok with that. That whole area is covered with silicone caulk, so I'm not worried about damage to the roof spars.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Hikerjohnd » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:09 am

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:
IASCOTT wrote:I see one problem waters going to pool between your vent and trim ring. It's hard to tell in the pictures whether the ring has higher sides than the vent. If it is the first rain you will find out if the vent fan lid has a water tight seal.

Scott

I've been thinking about this too. Thought about redesign of outer ring. If you widen the ring to put it against the fan housing and add a gasket. Maybe taper the ring to help shed water away from the fan housing as well.

I'm no designer, but I'll try to draw a pic and post it.

OK - tried to modify your drawing. Here's my thought:

Then I see you only have small pool between upper gasket and fan housing.

I'd keep the gasket you have on the bottom as a backup in case the upper gasket leaks.
---------------
--John

So be it.
Hikerjohnd
Teardrop Advisor

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:10 am

The issue with trying to seal up tight against the side of the fan housing is that the fan cover is larger than the fan housing itself, so you cant make the inside dimension of the "trim ring clamp" small enough (if that makes sense).

I did get poured on this past weekend on the way to the Knoebels Hallo-Fun Gathering. Unfortunately I cant say the trim ring was a complete success. It wasn't a complete failure either though!

Some drops found their way in, but for as much rain as I went through I was pleased. Once I got to my site and got my canopy set up I went to work investigating the leak.

It appears that the underside of the marine vinyl may have acted as a wick, and drew some water into the middle of the 2 rubber seals, and allowed it to run in through the bolt holes.

John, I do like the idea of the tapered top though... I think I'll end up modifying the trim ring to incorporate that!
Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:21 pm

I was supposed to be camping this weekend, but plans fell through, so I spent some time wiring a few electrical outlets

I built the boxes using pine boards, and painted them with the same blue paint I used on the outside. I hacked up an extension cord for the wiring because I'll never be pulling more than 15A, and its a lot easier to work with than romex.

Here is the outlet at the head of the bed...

There is another box on the opposite wall that will eventually have a couple 12vdc outlets. I also made a shelf that will span across the top of the 2 boxes and give it a more finished appearance.

This is the outlet box in the galley...

Sometime I'll come up with something to make those bright orange wires look better.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby toypusher » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:16 pm

Zack,

Get some wiremold to cover the wires - you can probably find plastic paint that will match your blue and even paint the wiremold!
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby parnold » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:26 pm

What? No camping??

You can always wrap your lovely orange wires with blue painters tape 'til you figure something more permanent out.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby john » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:39 pm

Around two years ago I used Marinepartdepot.com.

I received $10 worth of a $75 order. They never responded to my e-mails. They never made good.

I liked the prices, though.

Your results may vary. Just be careful.
Build I -- Scenic ---
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8121727@N04/
Goto the Tear Build file

Build II -- Scenic II ---
viewtopic.php?t=29603

Build III -- Scenic Solo---
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50324

Travel Blog----Now without Political Commentary
http://polifrogblog.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... -2009.html

The Constitution was ratified, not an interpretation thereof...

Penomeli ikibobo
john
john
500 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:45 am

toypusher wrote:Zack,

Get some wiremold to cover the wires - you can probably find plastic paint that will match your blue and even paint the wiremold!

I'll have to look into that. The blue paint that I use would definitely work on plastic.

parnold wrote:What? No camping??

You can always wrap your lovely orange wires with blue painters tape 'til you figure something more permanent out.

I was trying to spark some interest in camping up near the "PA Grand Canyon" this past weekend, but people had things come up and the plans fell through.

john wrote:Around two years ago I used Marinepartdepot.com.

I received $10 worth of a $75 order. They never responded to my e-mails. They never made good.

I liked the prices, though.

Your results may vary. Just be careful.

Sorry to hear that John. I just ordered those draw latches, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I paid through paypal, so maybe that will be some protection if things do fall through.

While I was working on the trailer this weekend, I decided to try out my modified trim ring clamp thing. I didnt bevel the top edge yet, but I did trim the vinyl opening about a 1/2" larger so the edge of the vinyl rests between the inner and outer weatherstipping on the trim ring. Also put another ring of weathersripping on the base of the fan housing so it aligns with the trim ring. Then I slopped on a bunch of silicone caulk between the fan base and trim molding. I dumped a 3 gallon bucket of water on the fan lid and NO WATER LEAKED IN!! It did pool up between the fan housing and trim ring, but at least it stayed there and didn't leak in! Cant wait until I can actually sit through a rainstorm test it under real-world conditions!!

And heres the obligatory diagram in case my description is unclear...

Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:19 am

Zach:

The only problem I see it the possibility of creating a dam. See attached. What about a little vinyl "bonnet" to cover the vent, attached to the outside of the removable trim ring? Also see attached..

parnold
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:38 am

parnold wrote:Zach:

The only problem I see it the possibility of creating a dam. See attached. What about a little vinyl "bonnet" to cover the vent, attached to the outside of the removable trim ring?

Thats exactly what happened when I dumped the water on it this weeekend!

The additional vinyl cover might be good insurance for while driving through thunderstorms, but I still want to be able to open the vent even while its raining :?

I just have to make things difficult, dont I?! :lol:
Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby GuyllFyre » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:47 am

Why not make a trim ring more like this so it can be properly sealed and directs the water away?

Things I have for sale on craigslist:
http://albany.craigslist.org/search/?ar ... catAbb=sss

Things I have for sale on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/merchant/seansmith
GuyllFyre
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals